Insulation works by slowing the movement of heat from a hot space to a cooler space. Insulating your home is one of the best ways to increase the energy efficiency of your home. In the winter,
Insulation helps to trap warm air inside the home and in the summer, it helps your home retain cool air and prevents your home from getting too warm. Insulation helps to create a comfortable environment inside your home all year round and is a great way to reduce your home’s energy consumption.
In order to better understand how insulation works, we have to look at some of the science behind it. Specifically, conduction convection and radiation.
Conduction is simply the transmission of heat from the material. When you go buy a cup of coffee it will start very hot, in some cases so hot that you’ll find it difficult to hold onto the cup without burning yourself. This is because the heat of the liquid is being transferred from the inside of the cup, through the cardboard walls, and into your hand.
Convection is what occurs in gases or liquids. When your barista heats the milk in your coffee, the milk becomes warmer and less dense and ends up rising and creates steam. This helps you understand why heat rises in your home while cooler air tends to sink to the floor.
Radiation is the transmission of infra-red radiant energy from a hot surface to a cold surface through the air. Radiant heat travels in a straight line and only when it encounters an object is there any effect. The sun heats the earth through this process the same way as a microwave will reheat your cup of coffee.
Insulation materials are specifically designed to resist heat flow. It works to stop or slow the transfer of heat from one location to another by creating a barrier that provides an effective shield against conduction, convection, and radiation.
Here are the main benefits of a fully insulated house.
- Insulation helps reduce your energy bills. By fully insulating your ceiling, walls, and floors you can reduce your heating and cooling bills by up to 50%. That’s hundreds of dollars extra in your back pocket each year!
- Insulation helps reduce your carbon footprint. A well-insulated home relies less on heating and cooling appliances and as a result, you use less energy helping to keep our planet healthy and happy.
- Live comfortably all year round. Insulation helps create stable temperatures inside your house all year round, regardless of what the weather is doing outside. And because your home will be warmer and dryer all year round, it creates a healthy and safe living environment for you and your family.
- Insulation reduces your noise! Like creating a barrier from the outside climate, insulation also provides an effective barrier against the transfer of sound. Most customers notice a marked decrease in noise not only from outside but also between rooms.
- It’s a one-time investment. You only need to have insulation installed once for the lifetime of your home. Once it’s been installed, it’s there to stay for the lifetime of your home providing all the benefits for the entire time you own your property.
There’s a great video that helps explain the science behind how insulation works. Have a look at the video here.
We’d love to have a chat with you about insulating your home. Talk to the team at AAA Insulation today to get the process started!